Free shipping on US orders $75 or more
Can Vaping CBD Help You Quit Smoking?
In the early 2000s vaping gained notoriety as a potentially less harmful nicotine delivery system than cigarettes. Switching to a heated coil and nicotine-based e-liquid, a smoker was still able to enjoy the physical experience of smoking without the tar and chemical buildup from inhaled burned tobacco. But what if a tested CBD oil could help you kick the entire nasty habit without the harsh side effects that can last months?
Some view vaping as a way to reduce nicotine until you quit smoking, these electronic delivery systems are not marketed as a smoking relief products. Vapes are classified as an alternative nicotine source. No scientific evidence exists to verify that vaping nicotine e-liquid helps to quit smoking. Fortunately, vaping potent CBD oil shows potential for breaking nicotine addictions and dependence on cigarette use.
Nicotine Addiction Health Risks
The issue with vaping nicotine is you’re still feeding your nicotine addiction. In fact, you may be vaping liquids with a higher nicotine content than found in the average cigarette and not even realize it.
Nicotine addiction is compared to the addiction of heroin and extremely detrimental to your health. Nicotine affects your heart rate, hormone growth, and digestive system.
- Works as a stimulant and a sedative (causes a crash)
- Contributes to hardened arteries which lead to heart disease
- Raises blood pressure, increasing your risk of heart attack or stroke
- Contributes to the formation of painful ulcers
- Increases both heart rate and blood pressure
- Reduces insulin sensitivity, which increases your risk of diabetes
Signs of Nicotine Withdrawal
Breaking the cycle is key to overcoming any addiction. Anyone who’s tried to quit knows how difficult this really can be, how hard it is to not give in to the urge to smoke. The symptoms of nicotine withdrawal last weeks or even months. People often give in to cravings within their first week of creating a habit. Common symptoms of nicotine withdrawal include:
- Anxiety or depression (You can also learn how CBD helps these in general in this research packed article)
- Tingling in digits
- Nausea/appetite change
- Inability to focus
- Insomnia/poor sleep
Even after the withdrawal symptoms go away, you may still feel the urge to smoke. That’s because smoking is a hobby/habit you’ve created.
The Potential Benefits of Vaping CBD in Place of Nicotine
When trying to break a nicotine habit, vaping effective CBD oil may prove more beneficial than vaping traditional nicotine products. CBD research shows the potential to alleviate nicotine withdrawal symptoms and habit cravings without worse side-effects as some anti-smoking medications come with harsh side-effects. The benefits of vaping CBD oils are because of how CBD interacts with your endocannabinoid system.
Understanding Your Endocannabinoid System
You have an inner body fail-safe for your communication system. It’s a series of receptors that regulate nearly every vital function and process in your body. It’s called your endocannabinoid system or EC. Many experts believe endocannabinoid deficiencies are the root cause of many health disturbances, both mental and physical. Just some of the functions your endocannabinoid system aid include:
- Cardiovascular regulation
- Pain depth and pain perception
- Moods shifts/anxieties
- Stress management/focus
- Immune system
- Muscle movement and recovery
- Regulation of your sleep cycles
- Energy and metabolism
- Regulation of digestive processes and appetite
You & Your Endocannabinoid System
Cannabinoids are the chemical messengers for your entire EC. They can be found naturally in your body and in cannabis/hemp plants in different forms. It has two parts THC or CBD. THC has is the high or psychoactive part of cannabis. You can learn more about this in our CBD Buyer's Guide. CBD is more known for health. CBD can be isolated or full-spectrum.
These messengers slow the entire system to help unclog or resend any messages that have gone out wrong or aren’t sending correctly because the entire receptor was overwhelmed. Your body’s neurotransmitters get lost/sent wrong more often than you’d think.
How CBD Can Help with Withdrawal Symptoms
Addiction is a chronically relapsing disorder that untreated can lead to brain damage. Nicotine is a highly addictive drug. Studies have surfaced which show potent CBD oils taken at certain milligrams might help to alleviate some of the common nicotine withdrawal signs. While most studies were completed on animals, several come from human participants.
- You may be intrigued by the fact that your endocannabinoid system is also responsible for the regulation of the rewards center of your brain, which affects how even the worst addictions work.
“Animal studies have shown the possible effects of CBD on opioid and psychostimulant addiction, while human studies presented some preliminary evidence of a beneficial impact of CBD on cannabis and tobacco dependence.” - Study from Substance Abuse. (1)
- Vaping a potent CBD oil could help you slowly come off cigarettes. In a trial, some smokers were given an inhaler containing CBD and some were given a placebo. Surprisingly, 40 percent of those using CBD reported a decrease in the number of cigarettes needed. The placebo group reported no change. (2)
- Another study suggests that CBD oil use reduces the imagery triggers that cause smoking. The second phase of this study showed the use of strong CBD oils decreased the perceived pleasure derived from smoking a cigarette. (3)